Shocked to see your child’s bed wet every day? What do you think is this issue? Can scolding them solve this issue? Well before you think of anything further, let’s try to understand a situation known as Bedwetting.
Have you imagined how humiliating or guilty it is for a child who urinates unknowingly on bed while sleeping? The same with the parents who feels so stressed and concerned about their kid who is still not able to hold or control their urine. It is a common problem among many young kids but can prolong into the teen years.
Bedwetting or Nocturnal Enuresis is unintentional urination while sleeping after an age when bladder control tends to happens. Bedwetting can also happen because kids have small bladders and cannot hold their urine whole night or the push for urinating is not powerful enough to wake them up.
Doctors cannot predict the exact reason behind Bedwetting or why it ends. It is often the natural way of development where kids grow out of it. Bedwetting is generally not a sign of any intense medical or emotional issue.
Bedwetting ends up very stressful on families and the kid can feel embarrassed or guilty of wetting the bed. Bedwetting can last for a while; however emotional support and encouragement can help your child feel better till it stops.
This is a common problem among kids of the age group 6-8 years and vanishes over time. Some kids continue to wet their bed even after 8 years is bit of a concern. In Ayurveda it is called shayyamutra which means urine on bed.
Follow these simple Ayurvedic Home Remedies to cure Bedwetting;
- During winter, try giving your child a mixture prepared of jaggary, celery seeds and sesame seeds in equal measure. In the morning, give 1 teaspoon of the above mixture with 1 glass of milk. Repeat this for 1 or 2 months for good results. The mixture has a heating effect on the body, hence reducing the chances of urination during night in cold climatic condition.
- Deworming is very helpful for kids as worm infestation can also cause Bedwetting. For deworming, give a piece of jaggary to the child in the morning. After an hour give 1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds with a pinch of rock salt. Continue this once a week for 4 weeks.
- Before going to bed, give the child 1 teaspoon of pulp of gooseberry (amla or amlaki) with 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- Give your child cinnamon bark to chew once a day. If the child does not like the taste of it, you can try combining sugar to cinnamon powder and spreading it on a toast.
- Pound and remove the seeds of Indian gooseberry. Make a mixture of gooseberry with 1 teaspoon honey, a pinch of turmeric and give it to the child every morning.
- Massage your child’s lower abdomen with warm Olive oil gently and for couple of minutes. Do it regularly to get better results.
- Cranberry juice is recommended for kidney, bladder and urinary tract. Women who have urinary tract infection drink cranberry juice for faster recovery from infection. Give fresh cranberry juice to your child 1 hour before bed. Continue this for couple of months to get better results.
- Walnuts and Raisins are very helpful in treating Bedwetting. Give 2 teaspoon of walnut and 1 teaspoon of raisin before going to bed. Continue this remedy for couple of months to see good results.
- Honey is very helpful in treating Bedwetting. Since it is a natural sugar, give your child 1 teaspoon honey before going to bed. Try adding honey to milk instead of sugar.
- Apple cider vinegar is very helpful in curing Bedwetting. It helps to reduce the acid levels in stomach and also in reducing the need to urinate frequently. Give your child 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water after every meal.
- An hour before going to bed, give your child some mustard seeds in 1 cup of warm milk. Mustard seeds are very helpful in treating Bedwetting.
- Give 1 glass of warm milk with 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds and 2 tablespoon of sugar syrup to your child every day.
- Give your child 2-3 bananas every day.
- Teach your child to do some bladder exercise. Allow your child to drink lots of fluid during the day. When they feel the necessity to urinate, ask them to control it for as long as possible. This exercise strengthens the bladder muscles and thus helping the child with curing bedwetting problems gradually.
Try not to give much fluid to your child before going to bed. Always make sure that the child passes urine before going to bed. Bedwetting is not a problem that will be solved in a day. Give some time for the home remedies to work and at the same time encourage your child to overcome this issue instead of scolding or humiliating them. Your loving gestures can help the child in overcoming the problem much faster.