Hiccups are very common and not a disease. It irritates a lot when lasts for longer time. It is a repeated noisy intake of air. It generally lasts for more than a few minutes sometimes.
- While smoking and eating chewing gum also a person can swallow air and end up with hiccups.
- Acid reflux caused due to side effects of medicines can also lead to hiccups.
- Eating and drinking too much.
- When eating too fast a person can swallow air and it causes hiccups.
- Stress, worry, anxiety are also some reasons.
- Swelling, infection, or masses in liver can cause irritation of the diaphragm, which leads to hiccups.
- Crying and coughing can cause hiccups for babies.
Home remedies for Hiccups:
- Sit quietly and hold the breath.
- Place a paper bag over the mouth and breath in and out for some time.
- Kulatha in form of soup or dal is very effective.
- If it persists for longer time, seek medical aid.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Hiccups:
Below medicines are recommended by Ayurveda practitioners to treat hiccups. Although most of the ayurvedic medicines are safe, we highly recommend taking advise from a qualified practitioner before trying below mentioned medicines.
- Mayura Chandrika Bhasma should be taken 5gms, six times a day with honey.
- Sukumar Ghritham can be taken 1 tsp thrice a day with milk.
- Mix cardamom powder with honey and suck it twice a day.
- Crush 1-2 tablets of Eladivatti, mix it with honey and have 4-6 times a day.