Oedema or dropsy is nothing but an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the body. Fluid accumulation can be local in the form of swelling and general.
Causes and Symptoms:
Usually dropsy can be noticed on the face, which is one of the most soft and sensitive areas in the body. One can see, swelling under the eyes and on the face of the patient is he/she is affected by this disease. Dropsy can be an indicator of a bigger and more severe disease. For example, in case of heart disease, swelling can be seen during the evening and in case of kidney disease, swelling can be seen in the morning. In case of chronic alcoholism if any issue crop up in the liver, swelling can be seen in the ankle and in the abdomen. If swelling persists, it is highly advisable to visit a doctor to find out the root cause which will help in the early treatment of any disease which could be the root cause.
Ayurvedic and Home Remedies
- Arjuna is known to be beneficial in case of these symptoms. Take 250ml of milk and add 30 grams of thick bark of Arjuna to make a decoction. This should be taken daily on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Add 2 grams of powder of Arjuna bark to a cup of milk. Add jaggery to sweeten it. Take this every morning on an empty stomach.
- Take 30 grams of black nightshade and boil it with half a liter of water till the water is reduced to one third of its original. Take this decoction twice daily.
- Prepare an extract of leaves and stem. Take 6 ml of it twice daily.
- Keep your belly covered with a towel soaked in strong lime water. This is known to have positive effects on dropsy.
- Indian squill is found to be beneficial to treat dropsy.
- Take ripe pineapple as your daily intake. Pineapple helps in stimulating kidney function to remove as much water as possible.
Well balanced diet is the first step to control dropsy. Do not take spicy and roasted food. Take food with lots of vegetables, fruits. Take fruit juices of apple, grapes, pineapple and papaya daily. Take sufficient fiber rich food to clean bowel.
The patient is advised to go for a warm enema to cleanse the bowel system during the start of the treatment for a few days. Take all fruit and juice food for 2-3 days. Take a warm water bath daily unless the patient is prone to cold and cough.