How worried or anxious do you feel before giving a speech or singing a song or giving a presentation in front of 10 people? Are you very worried, freaked or upset with something? Are you always very anxious about work or money or family? Are you feeling like your hands are shaky and sweaty?
If your answer is YES, then you need to seriously calm down, relax and try some home remedies to overcome Nervousness.
Nervousness is not a serious problem by itself. However, it can lead to anxiety disorder. Nervousness strikes generally when you are trying to do something new or something in front of small or large crowd. That uneasy feeling like you have butterflies in your stomach, your hands and legs starts shaking, you start sweating, you tongue start mumbling are common symptoms of Nervousness.
Nervousness to some extend is a good thing as you are trying to do something new. You are actually moving out of your comfort zone to achieve something, so being nervous is normal. However, too much Nervousness can also stop you from achieving your goal.
When you are nervous, try to calm your mind, think of something else or divert your mind to another topic, talk to your friend or relative, be positive think positive, prepare yourself to face the audience, preparing yourself to face the worst is also good, do some deep breathing exercises, drink water, etc.
There are some simple herbal remedies that help you with Nervousness.
- Chamomile is a very good herb as it contains matricaria recutita which helps to relax mind. Eat 1 teaspoon chamomile powder once in a day for 6-8 weeks for good result.
- Prepare and have green tea as it helps to maintain heart rate and blood pressure.
- If Nervousness is not letting you sleep, try having valerian herb in evening before going to bed.
- Try taking 1 teaspoon lemon balm powder to calm your mind.
- The aroma of lavender is found to have good effect on mind. Try inhaling the smell of lavender essence.
- Take omega 3 fatty acids as it is good for heart and for Nervousness related problems.
- Take 10 pieces of almonds in a vessel with little water to soak it overnight. Next morning, pound it well to form a paste. Mix this paste with 1 glass milk and little ginger. Drinking this mix daily before going to bed is very effective.
- Orange is a very effective fruit that can help internally as well as externally. Inhaling the smell of orange can help in changing the mood levels. Drinking orange juice with little honey is also very good.
- A regular exercise is very for body and mind. Exercise keeps the body fit and relieves a person from Nervousness of falling sick.
- Try taking herbs like passionflower or hops for not more than 1 month. This herb is a sedative that can help relieve nervous restlessness.
Please note – Herbs like passionflower, hops, valerian, kava, lemon balm, or any other sedative herb should not be taken along with other prescription sedative.
- Try to do some breathing exercises performed in yoga. It will help you relax, divert your mind, as well as calm your mind.
- Some people become nervous and irritable when they are hungry. Nervous attack can be due to drop in blood sugar level. So when you get nervous try to quickly eat a snack or a piece of dark chocolate with a glass of water or handful of walnuts or simply sip on a tea.
- Low levels of choline in body can lead to increased Nervousness. Always eat your breakfast especially with eggs if you have anxiety disorder.
- Meditation is an exercise for mind and people who do it daily never face problems of Nervousness. Try to do meditation at least once daily.
- Try any of the relaxation techniques like steam bath, sun bath, and sesame oil bath to get relieved of Nervousness.
- Try to spend some time going out to a place you like. You can also ask your friend or a close person of yours to join you. The more you speak and share your feeling with someone you end up feeling much better.
- Desensitization is a way to reduce the amount of Nervousness with every portion of activity until the activity itself does not cause Nervousness. Get yourself used to situation that causes Nervousness to you like prepare yourself to embarrassment, rejection and the entire process.
- Write down what is causing you Nervousness. This way you will stop worrying about it as you have written it down in a place.
According to ayurveda, the imbalance of vata dosha can lead to Nervousness. The ayurvedic supplements like Shankhpushpi is very good in relieving Nervousness. The above mentioned tips can help you deal with Nervousness. However, learning or understanding the reason for your Nervousness and following proper relaxation techniques is very important to overcome Nervousness.