Yeast Infection or more commonly known as Candidiasis is a type of fungal infection. The areas that are usually affected are throat, skin, mouth, genitals, and blood.
Yeast Infection is generally caused by a type of yeast known as candida. This yeast is present in diminutive amounts in our body. This yeast grows particularly in those areas of the body where it is moist and warm.
There are different types of Yeast Infection;
- Oral candidiasis or thrush – It is infection in mouth or throat
- Vulvovaginal Yeast Infection – It is the infection in genitals of women.
- Diaper Rash – It is infection in baby’s bottom area.
- Invasive Candidiasis or Candidemia – It is the infection in your blood stream.
Generally Yeast Infections are not considered very serious if treated at the starting stage and you can have some symptoms like itching, redness, burning sensation while urination, thick whitish cottage cheese like discharge, etc. It can become serious if not treated properly like in the case of vulvovaginal infection.
Our body has yeast in smaller amounts. The acid level in our body maintains the ratio of yeast. Pregnancy, menstruation, diabetes, intake of birth control pills, etc. are causes that can hinder the acid level which can lead to increase in yeast level in our body.
The growth of yeast in intestine can affect the good bacteria. It can enter the bloodstream through the enteric cycle and cause symptoms like insomnia, dizziness, fatigue, tinnitus, decrease in immunity level, digestion problems, etc.
There are some simple home remedies that can help you deal with Yeast Infection.
- Aloe vera is a very powerful herb. Take 1 aloe vera leaf and extract its gel from inside. Apply this gel on the infected area and leave it for 30 min. Later wash it off with water and repeat this twice a day.
- Coconut oil or cinnamon oil is known for its anti fungal properties. Apply either coconut oil or cinnamon oil on affected area 2-3 times a day.
- Take some cotton and soak it in a cup of yogurt. Now take this cotton and apply it on the affected area. Leave it for 30 min and try doing it twice a day.
- Try to eat non sweetened yogurt as it helps to kill harmful bacteria and fungal content in body.
- Prepare an herbal concoction made of 1 ounce walnut tincture, half ounce lavender tincture, and 10 drops tea tree oil.
- Oregano herbal oil extract can help you fight against Yeast Infection.
- Wash off the affected area with lukewarm water and few drops of cider vinegar.
- Rinsing mouth thoroughly with warm salted water can help in removing oral infection.
- Apply honey on the affected area or wash off the affected area with lukewarm water and honey.
- Herbal teas can provide good relief from the painful effects of Yeast Infection.
- Chances of Yeast Infection are more if our body immunity is weak. So try to avoid intake of medicines that can weaken our defense mechanism.
- Drink lot of cranberry juice. Cranberry has both anti fungal and anti bacterial properties which can help you fight against infection.
- Garlic has natural antibiotic, anti fungal and anti bacterial property. Take few pieces of garlic and grind it well. Apply this paste on affected area.
- Chewing garlic every day is also very good.
- Take tea tree oil mixed with 1 teaspoon olive oil or water or almond oil. Mix it well and apply this oil on affected area several times a day.
- For vaginal infection, take a tampon and put few drops of tea tree oil on it. Insert it into vagina for 2-3 hours for 2 times a day.
Note- this procedure is not applicable for pregnant woman as the contents of tea tree oil can affect the baby.
- Take some boric acid and dilute it by adding some water to it. Apply this diluted boric acid on affected area and allow it to stay for some time. Wash it off with water and repeat this for 2 weeks daily.
- Take some 2-3 calendula leaves and pound them well to form a paste. Apply this paste on affected area twice or thrice daily.
- Prepare a tea using calendula leaves and drink it.
Note- If you are pregnant, kindly avoid this method.
- Drinking 1 glass of buttermilk daily is very effective.
- Have a proper balanced diet with more of fruits and vegetables.
- Sweet content or sweet products have more chances of increasing the yeast growth in body. Hence try to avoid eating food that has more sweet content.
- Taking Triphala churna every day is very effective.
- Eating immunity enhancing and antioxidant herbs like tinospora cordifolia, asparagus racemosus and emblica officinalis are very effective.
- Herbs like neem and turmeric are very good against Yeast Infection. You can either apply on affected area or try eating it.
- Maintain a proper hygiene. Also try wearing underwear that is made of cotton.
A proper diet, proper hygiene, proper clothing is some easy ways to prevent Yeast Infection. For women, try changing your pads or tampon regularly, avoid using perfumed feminine sprays or powders that can hamper normal balance level of vagina. Try some of these simple home remedies mentioned above for treating Yeast Infection. In case the symptoms still exist, kindly go to a doctor for thorough examination.