“I love you so much. Except when you snore and then I just want to punch you in the face”.
Do you feel it is the same situation at home? It is a funny quote with an underlying truth.
Many people snore and they don’t even think of the other person who happens to hear it. How much annoyance it can cause others at the same time how much harmful it can be to the snorer. Let us put in an effort to first try to understand why a person snores? What can be the reason or cause? How it can be treated through natural home remedies?
Snoring is a sleep centric disorder which is caused due to difficulty in the flow of air while breathing. Snoring causes vibration of respiratory organs like uvula and soft palate, making an irritating and unfriendly noise. Snoring occasionally and mildly can be quite normal. However, there are other serious conditions due to which a person snores like mispositioned jaw, blocked nasal cavity, use of alcohol or narcotics that causes relaxation of throat muscles, enlargement of tonsil, weakness in throat causing its blockage, fat content in and around throat, etc.
Snoring is pretty dangerous as it can lead to a sleep disorder called obstructive sleep apnea. In this disease breathing gets disturbed for short period when they sleep. This makes the snorer wake up in between and due to this the snorer does not get a deep sleep. They feel tired the next morning. The risk of developing heart diseases is more in this case.
Generally it is observed that more percentage of men snore when compared to the percentage of women. Snoring can create a major drift in your personal life as well. The spouse of the person who snores generally sleeps in a different room. Thankfully, this is not the only solution for Snoring. There are very useful natural home remedies that can prove to be effective for snoring.
Helpful home remedies for Snoring;
- The best way to put an end to Snoring is by cutting down the calories in your body. Weight reduction can be very effective method to stop or reduce Snoring.
- Smoking causes nasal congestion and this is one of the major reasons for Snoring. Stop smoking to stop Snoring.
- Alcohol intake can cause relaxation of throat muscles which can lead to Snoring. Stop the consumption of alcohol to stop Snoring.
- Avoid sleeping straight on your back and try to sleep sidewise.
- Olive oil is very effective. Take 2-3 sips of olive oil before going to bed every night. This will help you to stop Snoring in few days.
- Regular sleeping pattern helps to reduce Snoring. Sleep at fixed time and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid spicy, oily and heavy food in dinner.
- Once a time every morning and night, try to put 2 drops of lukewarm Brahmi oil or clarified butter into each nostril. This is very effective for Snoring.
- Take 1 glass warm water and add 1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamom powder to it. Mix well and have it every night.
- Take 1 glass warm milk and add 2 teaspoon turmeric. Mix well and have it every night.
- Always sleep with head elevated as it reduces the chances of tongue falling back.
- Extract juice of ginger. Add 1 spoon honey and have it.
- Do yoga as there are many exercises and postures for treating Snoring.
- Try to do some tongue exercise like bringing the tip of your tongue to behind top front teeth and sliding it back. Try to do this at least 2-3 min a day.
- Try to spell vowels [a e i o u ] loudly. Try to do this 2-3 min a day.
- Try to twist your tongue and hold it for 30 sec with mouth closed.
- Try to practice singing for few min a day. It is a good exercise for throat and is very effective for Snoring.
- Reduce intake of caffeine.
- Homemade saline sprays are very useful to relieve nasal blockage. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to 1/2 cup distilled water and mix it well till salt is dissolved. Pour this into an empty nasal spray bottle or bottle with a dropper in it. Pour 2-3 drops into each nostril every night. Use this within 5 days and prepare fresh if required.
- Rub the lower part of your nose with few drops of peppermint oil.
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil to hot water and inhale the steam. This reduces the swelling in nostrils.
- Put handful of sage leaves into a vessel with hot water. Inhale the steam.
- Put 1 bunch of sage leaves in 1-2 glasses water. Allow steeping for 5-10 min and then strain it. Gargle with cooled water every night.
[Note: Sage is not good for people who suffer from seizure disorders]
- Prepare tea with 1 teaspoon dried nettle leaf in 1 cup boiling water. Allow steeping for 5 mins and strain it. It is effective to have 3 cups of this tea every day.
- Try to inhale steam using eucalyptus oil. Add 2-4 drops eucalyptus oil into a vessel with hot water and inhale the steam.
- Prepare Mint tea by taking 8-10 mint leaves or podina. Add it to 1 cup water and allow steeping for 5-10 min. Strain it and have it with honey if required. Inhale the smell of podina and drink it. The menthol content in podina helps to clear mucous from lungs.
Identifying the cause for Snoring is very important as there are many reasons why a person snores. The above mentioned home remedies will provide you effective results once you detect the cause for Snoring and use appropriate remedy. The home remedies are based on ayurveda, so are natural and with no trouble prepared at home.