Loose, watery and soft stools are symptoms of Diarrhoea. Stomach cramps, pressure and abdominal bloating are seen in Diarrhoea patients. It can be diagnosed by the symptoms itself and no tests are prescribed. However, in severe conditions, few blood tests and stool culture may be prescribed. The patient needs to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids to ease the symptoms. Electrolyte solutions are very helpful in Diarrhoea. Eating banana, rice, toast are good.
Diarrhoea occurs when the digestive system is weakened. According to Ayurveda its usually by excess pitta. To get rid of this we need to pacify pitta and kindle Agni.
The diet should include simple and nourishing foods. Also, drinks which have cooling effects such as, cilantro, mint, fennel, coconut should be consumed. Avoid spicy food, salty food caffeine, alcohol, sour food items, fermented food.
Home remedies for Diarrhoea:
· Take 1tsp of isabgol powder(psyllium husk) in one cup of fresh yogurt and mix well. Take this after food at bedtime.
· Take 1/4tsp of ginger powder and mix it in 1tsp of pure ghee. Add 1/2tsp of sugar and take this three times a day for 3-4 days.
· Mix 1/2tsp of fennel powder with 1/2tsp of ginger powder and take this 2-3 times a day.
Below are a few specific food preparations to treat Diarrhoea:
· Banana: Take 1-2 bananas and slice them in small pieces. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and add a teaspoon of warm ghee to it. Take this twice a day.
· Buttermilk: Blend ½ cup of curd with 1cup of water in mixer also add grated ginger and drink this twice a day.
· Rice and Yogurt: Mix 1 cup of cooked rice in yogurt and add a tsp of ghee to it and eat this.
· Apple: Chop 1 apple and add 2 cups of water. Add a pinch of cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg, salt, and some warm ghee. Cover and cook till mushy. Take this every day once.