The lifestyle of a person can prove to be one of the major reasons for many diseases. For example, there are people who have an inactive life, loves eating spicy, oily, salty and minerals rich food, does not drink much water or fluids, and avoids going to bathroom till the last minute. These are people who unknowingly invite a disease by name Kidney Stone or Stones in Urinary Tract.
Urinary Tract consists of kidney, ureter, bladder, and urethra. Stones are usually formed in the urinary tract. Calcium, phosphates or oxalates are the key ingredients for the formation of urinary stones.
Kidney stones are nothing but mineral salt deposits which are filtered by the kidney and removed from the body through urine. Urine has a natural ingredient which helps in dissolving these minerals. At times, due to dehydration, the deposited minerals don’t get dissolved and leads to crystallization. This grows large causing obstruction in urine flow through the ureter leading to sharp and severe pain in urinary tract.
The formation of stones is usually in the kidney and it can remain there without any trouble for quite some time. The size of these stones varies from the size of a pin head to that of a grape. These stones that are smaller in size generally dissolve and pass through urine unnoticed. It starts becoming a problem when the size increases and causes obstruction in the path of urine flow.
This is one of the most common problems in men and in Ayurveda it is called Vrukka ashmari. The aggravation of three doshas due to improper diet and lifestyle leads to formation of toxins called ama. This Ama, when travels to urinary tract cause crystallization and formation of kidney stones.
Kidney stones can have either smooth texture or rough and cutting edges. These rough and cutting edge stones can cause excruciating pain when they pass through the urinary tract.
The common symptoms of kidney stones include pain in lumbar region of the kidney, back pain, pain towards genital regions, fever, nausea, vomiting, brown or red color urine due to the presence of blood, urge for frequent urination, insomnia, loss of appetite, pain during urination, etc. If kidney stones are not treating it can lead to kidney failure.
There are some very useful home remedies that can help to treat stones in the urinary tract.
- Take 60 gms kidney beans and add it to a vessel with 4 liters of water. Heat this for 4-5 hours and then strain the liquid using a muslin cloth. Once the liquid has cooled, drink 1 glass of this liquid every 2 hours in a day. Repeat this for 1 week. Prepare fresh liquid every day.
- Take 1 cup horse gram and add it to 1/2 liter water in a vessel. Heat this mixture till water level reduces to 1/5th. Now strain the liquid and add 2 teaspoons of crushed pomegranate to it. Mix them well and drink it once every day.
- Take 10-15 fresh basil leaves and grind them well to form a paste. Extract 1 teaspoon of basil leaves juice from the paste and add 1 teaspoon honey to it. Mix them well and drink it everyday.
- Drinking 1 glass apple juice everyday is very useful.
- Take 2 figs and 1 glass water in a vessel and allow it to boil. Drink this water every morning empty stomach.
- Chewing 2-3 basil leaves everyday is also beneficial.
- Eat watermelon or try to drink watermelon juice every day as watermelon helps to remove stones from the kidney.
- It is very good to take celery everyday as it helps in removing toxins that can lead to the formation of stones.
- Take 1 glass tomato juice and add a little pepper and salt to it. Drink this every morning to dissolve mineral deposits in the kidney.
- Drink plenty of water as water can help to clear out stones from the kidney.
- Eat whole wheat bread every day to reduce the risk of stone formation.
- Drink 2-3 glasses of lemon juice everyday. Lemon contains citric acid and this helps to dissolve calcium based stones.
- Extract the juice from the stem of banana plants and drink it everyday.
- Prepare a decoction using the bark of the henna plant and drink it.
- Prepare a decoction from the leaves and seeds of radish and drink it.
- Drink plenty of coconut water and barley water everyday.
- Reduce the intake of spicy, salty food, green leafy vegetables, and calcium rich food.
- Avoid milk products, tea, coffee, cold drinks, alcohol, pickles, fish, poultry, meat, chocolate, heavy and dry food.
- After every meal, try to take a short walk or lie down.
- Orange, sugarcane and pineapple juice is also very useful.
- Take 1 teaspoonful of pashanabheda powder 3 times a day or you can prepare a decoction in a dose of 30 ml 3 times a day.
- Boil the bark of Varuna trees in water to prepare a decoction. Take 30 ml of this decoction 3 times a day.
- Gokshuradi Guggulu is very helpful as gokshura has diuretic property and Guggulu helps in relief from Vayu. This herbal medicine helps in curing and preventing stone formation.
- In Ayurveda, Panchakarma therapy is very useful to clean body internally to get back strength.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle by adapting to the proper balanced diet, intake of good amount of water, proper exercise to the body, yoga, meditation, etc. Follow the home remedies mentioned above for effective results. In case the symptoms still exist, kindly consult a doctor for thorough examination.