Do you often have a cough or have rough voice? Not able to breathe properly or pain in the chest or abdominal area? All these symptoms may point out to a condition known as Bronchitis!
The irritation or inflammation of the bronchi which is the passage through which air reaches lungs is known as Bronchitis. Bronchitis is a respiratory disease that is characterized by inflammation of the mucus membrane in the lungs bronchial passages. People with Bronchitis have thickened mucus while they cough. There are two types of Bronchitis known as acute and chronic Bronchitis.
The main reason behind Acute Bronchitis is usually cold or influenza. In this condition, an individual suffers from cough or small sensation in the back of the throat. It is mostly due to virus or bacterial infection.
Chronic Bronchitis is mainly caused due to allergens like air pollution and cigarette smoking. Individual sufferings from Chronic Bronchitis have too much cough that lasts longer like months or years sometimes.
The common symptoms of Bronchitis include slight fever, cough with or without mucus, pain in chest, difficulty in breathing, fatigue, etc. If proper medications are not taken, Chronic Bronchitis can lead to death.
According to Ayurveda, Bronchitis is called kasa roga which is mainly caused due to improper digestion. Improper digestion is due to imbalance of three doshas. The imbalance of pitta dosha generally leads to Bronchitis.
In Ayurveda, the main causes for Bronchitis are lack of nutrition, improper digestion, toxins accumulated in tissues and improper circulation due to blockage, physical and mental stress, decreasing natural resistance and immunity, imbalance of the nervous system, etc.
There are some simple and effective home remedies for Bronchitis.
- Take 1 glass of warm milk and mix 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder to it. Mix them well and drink this milk 2 times everyday.
- Take 1 glass of water and add 1/2 teaspoon of licorice root powder into it. Allow the water to heat up for 15 min and then filter this water. Once cooled, drink this water 2 times every day for 1 week.
- Take some fresh holy basil leaves and chew them everyday.
- Take some fresh Malabar nut tree leaves and chew them everyday or take 2 teaspoons of liquid extract of these leaves with little honey 3 times daily.
- Take a mixture of black pepper, long pepper and dried ginger in equal proportion every day. This helps to strengthen the body’s immune system.
- Take umcka which is an herbal extract everyday for effective result.
- Proper posture and deep breathing exercises of yoga are proven to be beneficial.
- Practice meditation as it helps to strengthen lungs and helps to relax our mind and body.
- Some Ayurvedic medicines like honey, rasa Sindur, Pravala Pisthi, sitopaladi Churna, kaphachintamani, Kaphaketu, Shringyadi Churna, etc. are very effective.
- Infuse spinach leaves in water and add a little honey, ammonium chloride to it. Drink this to loosen mucus and reduce chest pain.
- Take some almonds and grind them well to form a fine powder. Add little almond powder to 1 glass of orange juice. Mix them well and drink every night before going to bed.
- Take powder of the dry chicory root mixed with honey thrice daily.
- Gargle with warm salt water for some relief.
- Take sufficient rest.
- In a tub of hot water add some Epsom salt. Immerse in this water for 20 min every night before going to bed.
- Alternate placing of hot and cold towels over chest helps to reduce chest pain and loosen mucus.
- Avoid smoking and drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
- Take 1 piece of garlic and smash them. Swallow it either with milk or tea twice everyday.
- Take 5 cloves of garlic and pound them well. Now add this to 1 liter water and allow it to boil. Filter the water and give 1 teaspoon of it to children below 3 years every 3 hours. Give 1 tablespoon of this water every 3 hours to children above 3 years for good relief.
- Undergo maharishi rejuvenation therapy to remove toxins from the body.
- Herbal oil massages are also very effective.
- Eat nutritious food, do stress management, change your lifestyle and maintain a proper routine.
- Ayurvedic treatments like Vamana and virechana therapy are very effective.
A simple change in day to day activities, the food we take and our lifestyle can prove to be a life saver at times. Less nutritional food, no proper exercise or a sedentary lifestyle can cause our body to lose immunity. It is thus important to take a diet filled with fresh fruits, vegetables, freshly prepared food, less spicy or oily food, etc. Water also helps in removing toxins from the body and so it is very important to drink plenty of water everyday. Along with some simple tips, follow any of the above home remedies to treat Bronchitis. For any reason, if you still find the symptoms to remain, kindly consult a doctor for thorough examination.