It is funny to see someone while having Hiccups. However is it really funny for the person who has it? Well, if the Hiccups stop very soon, you probably won’t mind. If it prolongs, then it is a tough time and you will need a help.
What is a Hiccup?
Hiccup is caused due to involuntary or uncontrollable contraction of the diaphragm that can repeat many times per minute. The diaphragm is the muscle between our chest and abdomen.
Once Hiccup starts, the reflex causes strong contraction of the diaphragm followed by closing of vocal cords, producing a ‘Hic’ sound and in a relatively constant or rhythmic way. Hiccups can cause tightening of the chest and abdomen, leading to uneasiness.
It is not possible to define a time or period for Hiccups. It starts and ends suddenly. Digestive disorder or high toxin levels in the body due to kidney failure can also be the underlying cause for Hiccups.
Hiccups stops in a short period of time and if it doesn’t stop or disturbs your eating, sleeping routine, it is better to consult a doctor. You can also try with some simple home remedies mentioned below for effective result.
Some reasons for Hiccups include eating too quickly, drinking or eating too much, diseases that affect the nerve controlling diaphragm, abdominal surgery, stroke or brain tumors, intake of alcohol or aerated drinks, smoking, eating spicy food, stress, etc.
In Ayurveda, Hiccup is called Hikka Roga. It is a common problem in humans and even unborn fetus can have Hiccups. According to Ayurveda, aggravation of vata dosha causes Hiccups.
Following are some simple home remedies to get rid of Hiccups instantly.
- Take 1 glass of boiling water and mix 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder to it. After 15 min, strain the water and drink it lukewarm.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds and add it to 1/2 teaspoon clarified butter. Mix them well and swallow it for quick relief.
- Take 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder and add 1 teaspoon clarified butter to it. Mix them well and swallow it for quick relief.
- Take 1 teaspoon sugar and eat it slowly.
- Take some black pepper powder and inhale it. Inhaling black pepper powder can make an individual to sneeze. Sneezing can stop hiccups.
- For acute hiccups, Mayurpichcha Mashi is given along with ginger and honey. Mayurpichcha mashi is the ash out of burnt peacock feathers. Lick the mixture every few minutes to stop Hiccups.
- For persistent or continual Hiccups take chitrakadi vati. Take 250 mg of chitrakadi vati thrice every day for two weeks.
- Somnath Rasa is also very effective.
- Diverting the mind of a person who has Hiccups can instantly stop it.
- Fast gulping of water is effective.
- Try massaging back of the neck. Massaging the nerves can trigger the nerves to stop Hiccups.
- Take 1 spoonful of peanut butter or honey and ask the kid to swallow it at once.
- Give 1 spoonful of sweetened curd to kid for instant relief.
- Ask the kid to hold some sugar under their tongue and then make them drink 1 glass of water.
- Take a small piece of fresh ginger and chew it slowly.
- Swallowing or gargling water can help stop Hiccups.
- Take a deep breath and hold it as long as possible without allowing air to pass out and then exhale gently. Repeat this several times.
- Take some crushed ice and suck them for instant relief.
- Close your ears by placing your fingers blocking the airway. This provides instant relief.
- Take 1-2 pinches of katuki powder and mix it well with little honey. Eat this paste 3-4 times a day after food for 2-3 days.
- Sucking a piece of lemon or 1 teaspoon vinegar can amazingly stop Hiccups.
- Take 1 spoonful of powdered chocolate and eat it.
- Kulatta is a beneficial herb that is very effective for Hiccups. Prepare juice or soup or dal using this herb.
- Surya Namaskar and pranayama are two yoga exercises very helpful for relief from Hiccups.
- Lying on the back for some time can provide some relief.
- Pulling hard on your tongue can stop Hiccups.
- Try smelling salt.
Take a diet that is rich in fibers as indigestion or digestion disorders can also be a reason for Hiccups. Avoid spicy, oily food, red meat, alcohol and smoking. Drink lots of water and fresh fruit juices. If along with Hiccups you have abdominal pain, fever, breathing problems, vomiting or coughing up blood, please consult a doctor immediately for a thorough examination. The simple home remedies mentioned above can provide quick relief from Hiccups.