Planning for an awesome dinner? Before you hallucinate any further, WAIT; take a deep breath and ask yourself, how is your gut feeling? Seems like it’s already full?
Feeling bloated, heartburn, nausea are common symptoms of what is called Indigestion. Indigestion is the uncomfortable feeling in your upper abdomen. Indigestion or also known as dyspepsia happens when digestive juices in stomach are not secreted properly.
It is not a disease and the causes for the same can also vary. Spicy or fatty or greasy foods, overeating or hogging all the yummy food, stress, too much alcohol or coffee or drugs consumed for some illness can all trigger Indigestion.
There can also be serious issues like ulcers or gastritis or gallstones that can cause Indigestion. The best way to avoid Indigestion is to change the way you eat.
Follow the below mentioned thumb rules to stay healthy;
- Eat your meals at regular intervals not leaving too much gap between each meal.
- Drink at least 2-3 litres water in a day.
- Eat slowly, chewing your food properly.
- Do not think of doing your exercise right after a meal.
- Relax and take proper rest.
- Have a large breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner.
- Concentrate on your food while eating than talking or watching TV.
- Have your dinner at least 3 hours before you sleep. You cannot digest your food while sleeping which ends up in Indigestion.
During Indigestion it is advised to avoid eating food from out. Best way is to prepare simple and easily digestible food at home. Try eating fresh and properly cooked food. Drinking lots of water, fresh fruits, fruit juices and lemon juice can be beneficial.
There are also simple and natural home remedies for Indigestion.
- Wash and peel a piece of Ginger and extract its juice. Add little water and salt and drink this juice at one sip. This provides instant relief.
- Wash and peel a piece of Ginger. Cut it into small pieces and put it into mouth and chew it. This helps in reducing nausea during Indigestion.
- In a vessel boil 1 glass of water and to it add few jeera or cumin. Bring this water to boil. Drink it luke warm.
- After a heavy meal try to drink a glass of warm water mixed with 2 spoons of lime juice, ginger and honey. This gives a relief from the uncomfortable feeling in stomach.
- Eating oranges can be beneficial after a meal as it keeps indigestion at bay.
- Eat grapes to eliminate Indigestion and keeps your stomach healthy.
- Massage equal amounts of garlic and soya oil on your stomach when you have stomach pain due to Indigestion.
- Make it a habit to drink buttermilk after a meal as it prevents Indigestion and also helps in digestive process.
- Ajwain or carom seed also known as Bishop’s weed is good for Indigestion if consumed with little rock salt.
- Lemon juice 3 times a day gives relief from Indigestion.
- Drink green tea or herbal tea after your meal to aid in digestion.
- Chewing aniseed after your meal will provide instant relief from Indigestion.
- Drink a glass of buttermilk mixed with 2 tsp of coriander juice for relief from Indigestion.
- Drink half glass of water mixed with 1 tsp of baking soda for instant relief from Indigestion.
- Placing ice pack on your stomach can relieve pain.
“Health is Wealth” so if you are not careful, you will end spending a fortune to restore back your health. As much as possible avoid eating oily or greasy junk foods. Do not overeat; eat how much your stomach can digest. Regular exercise helps you to maintain a healthy body and digestive system.