The word Blood Pressure(BP) or hypertension has become a part and parcel of most of our life. We the humans are moreover like pressure cookers that may burst at any time. But what actually hypertension aka BP means in the Ayurvedic perspective is something different and interesting.
The lateral force exerted by the flowing blood on the walls of blood vessels is literally known as blood pressure, its increase or decrease is what actually matters. As per Ayurveda, acharyas have considered this as gudalinga avyakta vyadhi (a disease with hidden features or masked symptoms). There is no direct reference of this condition in any of our Ayurvedic texts. It may be due to the difference in chala guna of vata, usna guna of pitta, or the snigda- manda guna of kapha which interferes with the movement of Rakta. Thus in Ayurveda High BP is not just related to blood but more than that it is the dosha imbalance associated with rakta that causes raktaatichapa or hypertension. Some others explained it as raktagata vata or as vyanavruta prana.
In general most of the patients won’t have any symptoms and is incidentally diagnosed with other diseases. A person with a reading of above 140/90mm of Hg BP is considered as hypertensive (age matters!). Headache especially in the backside of head, sweating, nervousness, feeling of uneasiness and often vomiting are some of the basic symptoms and in severe cases, there may be bleeding from the nose, chances of stroke, and other internal organ damage.
|Systolic (mm Hg)||Diastolic (mm Hg)|
|Normal||Below 120||Below 80|
|Elevated (hypertension)||120–129||Below 80|
|Stage 1 hypertension||130–139||80–90|
|Stage 2 hypertension||140 or above||90 or above|
|Hypertensive crisis||Over 180||Over 120|
How to tackle it at home
In the initial period or if you are in the borderline hypertensive category you can definitely try some home remedies like
- Reduced salt intake with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
- Have sound sleep.
- Involve in activities which relieve stress.
- Yoga & Pranayama practice is highly recommended.
- Have a refreshing cold water shower when you feel exhausted.
- When you are aware that your blood pressure is getting high always be in a head high position with good ventilation.
- Milk added with crushed roots of Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina).
- If you are having stress related or sleep-deprived hypertension one of the best ways is to make a smooth paste of Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffusa) with butter and apply it over the soles and great toe.
- Have at least 6 g of Shigru leaves (Moringa oliefera) in either raw or steamed form for thrice a day.
- Have a natural decoction of fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds.
Classical Ayurveda Medications:
- Sarpagandhadi vati
- Brahmi vati
- Ashwagandha choorna
- Hridayarnava rasa
- Dhanvantaram kashayam
- Drakshadi kashayam
- Rasonadi kashayam
Always it’s better to avoid asava arishtas as it may vitiate the Pitta dosha.
Panchakarma also help in this condition as
- Thalam with kachooradi choornam and ksheerabala taila or karuthavattu with ksheerabala taila in shigru leaf juice is an emergency remedy.
- Padabhyanga & shiro abhyanga with any vatahara taila.
- Shirodhara with takra or i.
# Its always better to consult a qualified doctor before having any medication.# stay healthy stay happy.