Do you notice any infection in skin that is red in color and is painful, itchy or irritating? Is it swollen and pus filled? Do you think it is just a pimple and later realize that the size of it is much bigger?
A Boil which is also known as furuncle is a localized skin infection of the hair follicle or oil glands. It is an infection that is caused by bacteria. The skin turns red all over the infected region and slowly you can start noticing the formation of a lump. This lump or swelling is pus filled and can be very painful, itchy. The Boil can be of the size of a pee to that of a golf ball as well.
Boils can come to anyone while some say teenagers and young adults are more prone to get it. It can also come due to lack in nutrition, poor immune system, poor hygiene, diabetes, use of harmful chemicals on skin, blood disorders, obesity, anaemia, etc. When the Boil is about to throw out pus, you can find yellow or white point at the center of the lump. At the time of discharge, you can experience unpleasant smell from pus. If there is severe infection, some people tend to get fever, weakness and swollen lymph nodes.
Skin infections generally keep coming and it also has chances of spreading to other family members. The areas where you can usually find Boils are face, neck, thighs, back, stomach, and arms. The toxic contents in blood can also be a reason for getting Boils. Unhealthy eating habits, improper bowel movement and drinking too much alcohol are reasons why blood gets contaminated with toxins.
You can try some of the natural home remedies mentioned below for treating Boils;
- Keep hot packs or try dipping the area of infection in hot water. Heat increases blood circulation and helps in fighting against infection.
- Maintain a proper hygiene by taking bath regularly and with a good anti bacterial soap or body wash.
- Maintain a proper diet which contains lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Take orange juice 4 times a day for a week. Then start with green leafy vegetables, cereals, grams, fresh fruit juices, etc.
- Take garlic or onion or bitter gourd and extract its juice. Apply this juice on the affected area.
- Take some parsley leaves and boil them in water till they become soft. Take a clean cloth and wrap the leaves in it. Keep this cloth on Boils.
- Take 3-4 betel leaves and boil them in water till they become soft. Add 2 drops of castor oil and keep the leaves on the Boil.
- Prepare a poultice with 1 teaspoon fresh milk cream, 1 teaspoon vinegar and little turmeric powder. Turmeric has antiseptic property which helps in healing, milk and vinegar allows the Boil to dry without letting the infection to worsen.
- Take some cumin seeds and pound them with some water. Apply this paste on the infected area.
- Take some fresh ginger and pound them nicely to form a paste. Mix a little asefoetida to it and apply on the infected area.
- Either apply a paste of turmeric powder and the juice on Holy basil on the infected area or you can also try to eat or drink it as it has high anti bacterial property.
- Applying tea tree oil is beneficial.
- Fill a bath tub with warm water and add some Epsom salt to it. Soak in it for a while for getting relief from pain and also to help in drying out the Boil.
- Aromatherapy with essential oils like lavender is very good in treating Boils.
- Apply Charmardadi thailam on Boils to get effective result.
- Apply aloe vera on Boil to get relief.
- Taking Kanchanara guggulu pills twice a day is very effective.
- Eat 1 tablespoon Triphala churna every night before going to bed.
- Take a piece of bread and dip it in boiling water. Once it cools to room temperature, place it on the Boil.
- Try to drink 1 glass bitter gourd juice with 1 table spoon lemon juice every morning empty stomach.
- Take some castor bark and pound it well with some water to form a paste. Apply this paste on the Boil.
- Take some neem leaves and boil it in 1/2 cup water. Boil till all water is evaporated. Take the leaves and pound them well to form a paste. Apply this paste on Boil. Neem is known for its anti bacterial property and hence helps in speedy recovery.
Always keep yourself neat and clean. Try to maintain a good personal hygiene to prevent infections on skin. Wash your hands properly to prevent bacteria from developing on skin. Use a good anti bacterial soap or body wash for bathing. Following the above mentioned guidelines and simple home remedies you can try to prevent and treat skin infections like Boils.